Lessons from Jacob: When Wrestling Gives Way to Clinging
He bargained.
He deceived.
He negotiated.
He strategized.
From Esau's birthright to Isaac's blessing to his years with Laban, Jacob had learned how to maneuver his way through life. And now, with Esau approaching with four hundred men, he was strategizing again—dividing his camp and sending gifts ahead, trying to soften whatever waited for him on the other side of the night.
But then Jacob encountered Someone he could not manipulate. Genesis 32 tells us that Jacob was left alone, wrestling through the darkness until the breaking of day.
"When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him."
— Genesis 32:25 ESV
He touched him. That's all.
One touch from God, and the strength Jacob had relied upon was no longer enough to hold him as it had before and I can't get away from the location of that touch. The hip bears weight and gives stability to the leg. Put it out of joint and everything changes. The leg can no longer support the body in the same way. The knee bends. The posture changes.
Scripture doesn't tell us that Jacob knelt before God that night, but the picture is powerful: the man who had spent his life standing in his own strength could no longer stand as he had before.
This is where the wrestling begins to look different. The strength to wrestle had been taken from him, but he could still cling.
"Then he said, 'Let me go, for the day has broken.' But Jacob said, 'I will not let you go unless you bless me.'"
— Genesis 32:26 ESV
There is a difference between wrestling with God and clinging to Him. One depends upon my strength. The other acknowledges that I have none.
Perhaps that is the heart of this encounter.
Jacob had spent a lifetime grasping for what he wanted, but in the darkness, stripped of the strength he had always trusted, his grasp became something different.
"I will not let You go."
And there is something beautiful tucked inside Jacob's request: "unless you bless me." The Hebrew word translated "bless" is bฤrak. It means to bless or bestow favor, while the Hebrew root also carries an association with kneeling; berek is the Hebrew word for knee.
That connection immediately took me back to something our pastor recently taught about approaching God physically prostrate, kneeling, or kneeling with our hands raised as we bring our questions and requests before Him. Not because kneeling is a formula for getting something from God. If it were, it would simply become one more strategy—one more attempt to control the outcome. The posture is an expression of surrender.
I cannot make this happen.
I cannot control the outcome.
I cannot fight my way through this.
I need You.
Anyone who has ever fought against a strong current knows how quickly the water can reveal the limits of your own strength. You can fight and fight, exhausting yourself against something stronger than you, until you realize your strength simply isn't enough.
How often do I do that in life?
I strategize. I calculate. I replay every possibility. I decide what I think needs to happen and then exhaust myself fighting the current, trying to make the outcome bend in the direction I want it to go.
But, surrender isn't always about letting go. Jacob's grip changed. He was no longer grasping for control. He was clinging in dependence.
God isn't asking us to wrestle harder. He's teaching us to cling.
You cannot wrestle God into submission.
The encounter is never about His surrender.
It's about ours.
I Want to Walk on the Water.
Continued in Lessons from Jacob, Part 3: What is Your Name?
๐ Follow Along with Go Be Salty™
๐ Pinterest inspiration
๐ฅ Sermon-by-the-Minute™
✝️ Daily encouragement
If you enjoy reading “I Want to Walk on the Water,” be sure to also check out “The Salty Details” for travel stories, beach life, and coastal encouragement through the lens of faith. And don’t forget to visit our YouTube channel, Go Be Salty™, for Sermon-by-the-Minute™ videos and more encouragement along the journey.
#gobesalty

Comments
Post a Comment