Who Are You Listening To?

"The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe."
— Proverbs 29:25

Whose voice has the greatest influence over your life?

It's a question worth asking. Throughout Scripture we find people who knew what was right...yet chose another voice.

Not because they were ignorant.

Not because God hadn't spoken.

But because, in a moment of fear, pride, anger, or the desire to be accepted, they valued another voice above God's. The Bible calls it the fear of man.

The fear of man can look like a lot of things.

Sometimes it looks like keeping the peace.

Sometimes it looks like wanting to fit in.

Sometimes it looks like protecting our reputation.

Sometimes it looks like wanting everyone to like us.

Sometimes it even disguises itself as wisdom or kindness, but at its core, the fear of man is simply valuing other voices more than God's. It's allowing the opinions, expectations, approval, or rejection of people to carry more weight than what God has already said. 

That's why it's such a subtle trap. It quietly waits for the moment we step into it.

Like Herod stepped into it.

He knew exactly who John the Baptist was and Mark tells us Herod feared John because he knew he was a righteous and holy man. He even enjoyed listening to him, though John's words left him deeply troubled. Then came the birthday banquet.

A careless promise.

A foolish oath.

A room full of influential guests.

When John's head was requested on a platter, Herod had a choice. He could have humbled himself and admitted he had spoken foolishly. He could have broken his oath. Instead, he chose to save face. He cared more about the approval of the people around his table than obeying what he knew was right.

One decision.

One moment of valuing public opinion over God's righteousness.

And John the Baptist was executed.

Then there was Pilate.

Pilate questioned Jesus and declared again and again, "I find no guilt in Him." Even his wife warned him after suffering a troubling dream, urging him to have nothing to do with this innocent Man.

Pilate knew Jesus was innocent, yet the crowd grew louder.

"Crucify Him!"

So, rather than standing for what he knew was right, Pilate surrendered to the pressure of public opinion. He literally washed his hands of the matter. The crowd won.

Truth was crucified.

Then there was Saul.

If anyone should have stood firm, it was Israel's first king. God had spoken clearly. The instructions were unmistakable. Yet when Saul returned from battle, he spared King Agag and kept the best of the livestock—directly disobeying the Lord's command.

At first, Saul defended himself. He made excuses, blamed the people, even insisted the animals had been spared to sacrifice to the Lord. Isn't that often how compromise begins? We convince ourselves there's a good reason.

But, the truth came out.

"I have sinned... because I feared the people and obeyed their voice." (1 Samuel 15:24)

What an honest confession.

Not...

"I didn't know."

"I misunderstood."

"I meant well."

No. "I feared the people and obeyed their voice." That single sentence reaches far beyond Saul's story. 

How many relationships have suffered because someone feared the opinions of others more than that of God?

How many parents have compromised because they wanted to be liked instead of leading?

How many churches have softened the truth because they feared losing people?

How many of us have remained silent when the Holy Spirit prompted us to speak?

Or spoken when He was asking us to remain silent?

The fear of man is simply valuing other voices more than God's.

There was a season in my life when I walked away from the Lord. Not because I stopped believing in Him, but because I was angry with Him. And if I'm being honest...I knew better. I was just angry enough that I decided to do my own thing and I wanted nothing to do with Him.

But here's the problem...

I knew too much.

I knew His voice.

I knew the Truth.

So when I stepped into the world, I never really fit there. 

I tried.

I tried to blend in, but I found myself in a world where acceptance seemed to depend on who you knew, who you were seen with, and whether you fit the right crowd. Before long, I started measuring my own worth by those same standards. 

I wanted so badly to fit in. So I compromised.

But the harder I tried...

the more I realized...

I didn't fit there.

I didn't belong there.

The harder I worked to build that "new life," the more miserable I became. I was a miserable person...because I was a miserable person trying to make a home in a place where I was never meant to belong. You can pretend to be someone else for a while, but eventually, your soul begins longing for the place where it truly belongs. 

Trying to fit into the world when you belong to Christ is exhausting. You spend all your energy trying to become someone you were never created to be. Then one day, I realized something. I had spent years chasing the approval of people who could never define my worth. I cared far too much about what everyone else thought and not nearly enough about what Jesus thought.

But whose opinion mattered more?

The One who created me.

The One who died for me.

The One who called me by name.

The One who never stopped loving me—even while I was running from Him.

The beautiful thing is that Jesus never asks us to blend in. He calls us out. He calls us to Himself. 

He doesn't measure your value by who you know, what circles you run in, or whose approval you've earned. Your worth was settled at the cross.

The applause of people will never satisfy the soul.

Only Jesus can do that.

And when His voice becomes the one that matters most...

the need for everyone else's approval begins to lose its grip.

That's where freedom begins.

That's where identity is restored.

That's where we become the person He intended us to be all along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Want to Walk on the Water

The Sun Always Rises

The Story of My Life with Heart Failure: The Beginning