Lessons From the Sea: Open Your Mouth Wide

One of the most breathtaking sights in the ocean is watching a humpback whale feed.

Scientists call it lunge feeding. The whale surges upward, opening its mouth nearly ninety degrees as the expandable pleats beneath its jaw stretch like an accordion. In one incredible gulp, it takes in an enormous amount of water and food.

Then something remarkable happens. The whale filters everything it has taken in. It keeps only what will sustain it. The rest is released back into the sea. As I watched this magnificent creature, I couldn't help but think...

"There's a lesson here."

The funny thing is, this journey didn't actually begin with a whale. It began in  Proverbs. For thirty chapters, Proverbs repeatedly warns us about our mouths. 

Guard your tongue.

Don't gossip.

Don't lie.

Don't speak recklessly.

Don't answer before listening.

Then, almost unexpectedly, the final chapter changes direction. Three times we're told to open our mouths.

"Open your mouth for the mute..."

"Open your mouth, judge righteously; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."

That contrast stopped me then sent me searching through Scripture. I remembered Psalm 81:10.

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

Over the years, I've always read this as one of God's beautiful promises of provision. And  certainly, God is our Provider, but this time, I sensed the Lord gently whispering, "Look deeper."

When I studied the verse, I discovered the Hebrew phrase translated "open your mouth wide" comes from harchev, rooted in rachab, meaning to broaden, enlarge, expand, or make room. That completely changed the way I read the verse. The same Hebrew word family appears throughout the Old Testament when God speaks of bringing His people into broad places, giving them room, and enlarging their borders.

David praised God for bringing him into a broad place.

Isaac named a well Rehoboth, saying,

"Now the Lord has given us room, and we will flourish in the land."

God promised Israel that He would enlarge their borders.

Again and again, the picture is the same. God makes room for His purposes to flourish.

Not simply so His people could have more, but so His glory could be displayed through them. Then I found myself asking a question. Could Psalm 81:10 be using that same imagery?

Not of enlarging territory...but of making room for God.

Not simply opening my mouth...but opening my life.

Then I thought about Moses. When God called him, Moses immediately protested that he wasn't a gifted speaker. God simply replied,

"I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."

By the end of the story, Moses had become the spokesman he never imagined he could be. God didn't call Moses because he was already ready. He faithfully prepared him as Moses walked in obedience. Perhaps that's what making room looks like. Not waiting until we feel capable, but giving God room to shape us for the calling He has already placed on our lives.

Then everything suddenly came together. Jesus said,

"What you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops."

God whispers.

We listen.

He fills.

Then we pour out.

And that's when I saw the whale differently.

Before it receives what sustains it...

It opens its mouth to its greatest capacity.

It receives abundantly.

It keeps what sustains it.

The rest is released.

What a beautiful picture of the Christian life. God fills us with His Word...not so we can store it away for ourselves.

He comforts us so we can comfort others.

He teaches us so we can teach others.

He blesses us so we can become a blessing.

He whispers to us so we can proclaim His truth.

His gifts have never been about our comfort. They have always been about His Kingdom.

As I watched that humpback whale open its mouth nearly ninety degrees, I realized the question Psalm 81:10 was asking me wasn't,

"Do you believe I can fill you?"

I've never doubted that. The question was much more personal.

"Have you made room for Me?"

Room in your schedule.

Room in your heart.

Room in your plans.

Room in your expectations.

Room for His calling.

Maybe that's what "open your mouth wide" has been inviting us to all along. Not merely to receive more. To make room for the God who wants to accomplish more through us than we could ever accomplish on our own.

So today, my prayer is simple.

Lord, show me where I haven't made room for You yet.

Fill every place. I surrender.

Let everything You pour into me overflow for Your glory.


I Want to Walk on the Water


πŸ™ Resources to Fill Your Mouth with Truth

🌊 Follow Along with Go Be Salty™

πŸ“Œ Pinterest inspiration
πŸŽ₯ Sermon-by-the-Minute™
πŸ›️ Coastal favorites
✝️ Daily encouragement


If you enjoy reading “I Want to Walk on the Water,” be sure to also check out “The Salty Details” for travel stories, beach life, and coastal encouragement through the lens of faith. And don’t forget to visit our YouTube channel, Go Be Salty™, for Sermon-by-the-Minute™ videos and more encouragement along the journey.

#gobesalty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Want to Walk on the Water

The Sun Always Rises

The Story of My Life with Heart Failure: The Beginning