How Big Will You Let God Be?
On our last little getaway, Steven and I found ourselves deep in conversation about the ocean.
We talked about its endless stretch, the calming rhythm of the waves, and how downright terrifying it can be when the sea is stirred up. The ocean has always fascinated me because it reflects something of God's nature. It steadies me. It brings peace. Yet at the same time, it reminds me how small I am.
That is how I see a holy, reverential fear of the Lord.
He is my peace. His heart is for me. He is my refuge and my strength. Yet there are moments when I become overwhelmed by His greatness and can do nothing but stand in awe.
As we sat there talking, Steven quietly said, "We're just a speck." My ears perked up and my spirit leapt within me!
A speck.
Then, this question settled deep in my spirit, "How big will you let Me be to you?"
The Blue Whale
When we look at creation, we catch glimpses of the Creator.
Romans 1:20 tells us that God's invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, are clearly seen through what He has made.
Consider the blue whale.
It is the largest animal on Earth, growing over one hundred feet long and weighing as much as two hundred tons. Its heart alone can weigh hundreds of pounds.
Now that's a big whale!
The Ocean
Yet that massive whale lives in an ocean that covers more than seventy percent of the Earth's surface.
The ocean is vast beyond comprehension. It stretches farther than the eye can see and reaches depths that remain largely unexplored.
Now that's a big ocean!
The Earth
Yet the Earth contains that ocean.
Our planet holds continents, nations, mountains, deserts, forests, rivers, and nearly eight billion people. It carries every creature, every landscape, every story we have ever known.
Now that's a big planet!
The Universe
Yet Earth is only a tiny part of the universe.
The universe contains the sun, moon, stars, galaxies, and countless wonders beyond what we can fully comprehend. Scientists continue discovering new things, yet they have only scratched the surface of God's creation.
Now that's a big universe!
Perspective
Isaiah paints a breathtaking picture of God's greatness:
"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, marked off the heavens with a span, enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure..." (Isaiah 40:12 ESV)
A few verses later, Isaiah says that the nations are like a drop in a bucket before Him.
A drop.
A speck.
David expressed the same wonder when he wrote:
"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is mankind that You are mindful of them?" (Psalm 8:3-4 NIV)
Think about that.
The God who spoke galaxies into existence knows your name.
The One who measured the oceans in the hollow of His hand sees every tear.
The Creator who hung the stars in the sky is mindful of you.
Now that is a very big God!
Reflections
Sometimes our problems feel enormous.
The diagnosis.
The financial pressure.
The broken relationship.
The unanswered prayer.
The uncertainty of what comes next.
But when I remember who God is, everything begins to shift.
The universe contains Earth.
Earth contains the oceans.
The oceans contain the whales.
And God holds it all in His hands.
Whatever you're facing today may be bigger than you are, but it is not bigger than your God.
Let Him be a very big God to you.
Dive a Little Deeper
While researching this post, I came across Habakkuk 3:6 AMP:
"He stood and measured the earth..."
That verse came alive in me!
At first, I pictured the Creator standing and measuring the earth. The imagery alone filled me with awe. Then the Lord gently shifted my focus. Not to the planet. To me.
Remember, Isaiah 40:12 says that "He enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure." Throughout Scripture, earth and dust often point back to humanity (Genesis 2:7). Suddenly, I wasn't seeing God measure continents and coastlines. I was seeing Him measure the "earth" still present in me.
The places where I still rely on myself instead of Him.
The fears I haven't surrendered.
The pride I don't always recognize.
The habits and distractions that keep me from becoming everything He created me to be.
I thought about how parents mark a wall to track their children's growth over the years. They celebrate every inch gained. In the same way, I believe our Heavenly Father delights in our spiritual growth.
But growth isn't simply adding more of Him. Sometimes growth requires removing more of me.
Less earth.
More heaven.
Less flesh.
More Spirit.
Less of my will.
More of His.
Oh Father, may You find continual growth in me. May there be less of the old nature and more of Christ. May I decrease so that You increase. May Your presence become so evident in my life that others see You before they ever notice me.
And may I continue growing into "the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13 AMP).
Lord, fill me to overflowing.
I Want to Walk on the Water
π΅ Worship Moment: Continue reflecting with Big God by Terrian, featured on our Turn It Up, The Mix, and Theme Songs for the Journey playlists.
π Reflection Questions
- Have I made my problems bigger than my God?
- Where have I seen God's greatness on display recently?
- If God measured my spiritual growth today, what would He find increasing?
Remember: The universe contains Earth. Earth contains the oceans. The oceans contain the whales. And God holds it all in His hands.
π Resources for the Season You're In
When your problems feel big, spend time remembering how big your God is.
π Whale Tail Ceramic Mug
An ocean-blue coffee mug featuring a hidden 3D whale tail inside. Let it serve as a daily reminder of the blue whale, the vast ocean, and the God who holds it all in His hands.
π Scripture Memory Cards
Hide God's promises in your heart and keep His truth in front of you when life feels overwhelming.
π The Awe of God by John Bevere
A powerful exploration of holy reverence and the wonder of God's greatness.
π️ Prayer & Growth Journal
Record what God is teaching you, prayers He has answered, and the ways you are growing in Him.
π A Nature Journal or Quiet Time Outdoors
Whether it's the beach, a walking trail, or your own backyard, spend time noticing the fingerprints of God in His creation. Creation has a way of restoring perspective.
π§ Worship Playlist: God's Greatness
Fill your atmosphere with songs that remind you of God's power, faithfulness, and majesty.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
An ocean-blue coffee mug featuring a hidden 3D whale tail inside. Let it serve as a daily reminder of the blue whale, the vast ocean, and the God who holds it all in His hands.
Hide God's promises in your heart and keep His truth in front of you when life feels overwhelming.
A powerful exploration of holy reverence and the wonder of God's greatness.
Record what God is teaching you, prayers He has answered, and the ways you are growing in Him.
Whether it's the beach, a walking trail, or your own backyard, spend time noticing the fingerprints of God in His creation. Creation has a way of restoring perspective.
Fill your atmosphere with songs that remind you of God's power, faithfulness, and majesty.
π Follow Along with Go Be Salty™
π Pinterest inspiration
π₯ Sermon-by-the-Minute™
π️ Coastal favorites
✝️ Daily encouragement
If you enjoy reading “I Want to Walk on the Water,” be sure to also check out “The Salty Details” for travel stories, beach life, and coastal encouragement through the lens of faith. And don’t forget to visit our YouTube channel, Go Be Salty™, for Sermon-by-the-Minute™ videos and more encouragement along the journey.
#gobesalty
π₯ Sermon-by-the-Minute™
π️ Coastal favorites
✝️ Daily encouragement

Comments
Post a Comment